Rounding out our Cinderella costume – a quick tutorial

I am so excited to be sharing our halloween costumes as part of the Pattern Revolution Halloween Extravaganza!

If you haven’t had a chance to check that out yet be sure to head over so you can see all the amazing creations our team has in store for this year!  You can also learn about how to win some awesome prizes just by sharing the costumes you’ve made, how sweet is that?!?
I know i’m terrible at keeping up here but I really wanted to give you all a quick tutorial on creating the apron and headscarf that I used to complete Ry’s costume.  I used the Peek-A-Boo Perfect Peasant pattern for the dress and the sash measurements I refer to are listed in the directions.
First you will need to cut a rectangle for the apron and hem the edges.  I did this by pressing under 1/4″ all the way around, then pressing that up another 1/4″ and stitching.  You could also use an overlock first and only press one time and hem.
I used the sash measurements from the pattern but instead of leaving just a small section to turn it right side out, I left a gap in the middle of the sash large enough to fit our rectangle.  I laid out the rectangle and marked with pins prior to sewing.
Turn the sash right side out and press.  Be sure to press the open section under to match the seam allowance.
Next fold the rectangle in half and mark the middle, then fold the sash in half and mark the middle.  Line the middles up and insert the unfinished edge of your rectangle into the open section of the sash.  
Topstitch around all edges of the sash which will secure the apron and transform the sash into ties.
To make the headscarf I just used scraps left from the apron fabric – 
Start with a 12×12 square.  
Fold into a triangle with right sides together and stitch around the 2 open sides leaving a 2″ opening.
Turn right side out and top stitch around all 3 sides.  
Cut a piece of elastic (I used fold over elastic) approx 5″ long.  (this size may vary for a younger/older child)
Attach elastic to each point as shown below.  I use a zig zag stitch around the outline of the elastic.

%d bloggers like this: